Sweet Valley High - Academic All-Star? - Katy Rex & Devaki Neogi

36749982. sy475



I grew up reading the Sweet Valley High and Baby Sitter's Club book so when I saw that Sweet Valley was being adapted into a graphic novel I knew I had to read it! Unlike the Baby Sitter's Club graphic novels, this Sweet Valley High novel is not just the graphic version of a book from the original series, it's a whole new story feature the characters we know and love but with a modern twist.

In Academic All-Star, Jessica falls in love with her professor and decides to act more like her studious twin Elizabeth so that he will fall in love with her. Hijinx ensue. A very common theme that happened in the original series but I thought that the graphic novel version handled it better than the original would have.

The use of texting and instagram accounts gave this book the modern feel as well as the pop culture references. While it was at times cringy it was still a fun read and I felt the characters were very true to the original ones that Francine Pascal created.

The art style was reminiscent of the Archie Comics I also read growing up and along with the story it gave me a very nostalgic feeling reading it and I cannot wait to pick up the next installment and find out what happens next.

4 out of 5 nostalgic stars!

I received a copy via NetGalley for review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review