White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review



I can't tell you how excited I was to read this book. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are two of my favourite authors to read and the Pendergast series is one of my all time favourite book series (second only after Harry Potter).

White Fire is the thirteenth book in the Pendergast series about FBI Special Agent A.X.L. Pendergast but you do not have to read the previous 12 before you read this book if you do not want to, (I highly recommend it though) you can read it as a stand-alone book.

Even though the book is a Pendergast novel, it's mainly told through Corrie Swanson's (Pendergast's protege and first seen in 'Still Life With Crows') point of view.

Corrie currently enrolled at John Jay College of Criminal Justice is working on a thesis which takes her to 'Roaring Fork' an exclusive ski resort in Colorado to examine the remains of 12 miners who were mauled to death by a bear 150 years previously.

The prologue set in 1889 takes you to a dinner where you find Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle discussing the character of Sherlock Holmes and a story so disturbing that it leaves you wondering exactly what it could be. (You find out towards the end of the book)

I initially thought that there would be two different stories in this novel after reading the prologue and the first few chapters but they tie up nicely at the end.

I've never read any of Doyle's books, much less the Holmes series but after reading White Fire, I'm very intrigued to read a few, especially 'the Hound of Baskervilles' which is mentioned throughout White Fire. (Must put on to read list)

I enjoyed White Fire immensely but I do wish there had been more Pendergast and less Corrie, (and please bring back D'Agosta) I found her annoying at times but I will say she redeemed herself in the second epilogue. Unfortunately the second epilogue is only available on the prestonchild website for a month as a special holiday gift to loyal readers and then will be taken down. If you are interested in reading it, leave a comment as I saved a copy and would be more than happy to share it.

I'm looking forward to the next Pendergast novel. Look out for more reviews on the Pendergast series.

Comments

  1. Hi there! Great review! Do you still have a copy of the second epilogue? I read White Fire a little while back, but I didn't even know about the extra chapter until today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I was trying to edit my earlier comment! I would love a copy of the second epilogue. I'm a big P&C fan but only just now have read WF. Not sure how to get you my email address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! If it is not a big trouble for you, please send me a copy of the second epilogue. I've seen it mentioned at one of the forums, but had no opportunity to read or download it. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Just send me you email details either here on just email me at pretendersrefuge@gmail.com :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

Caraval - Stephanie Garber Review