Top 5 books I read in 2016

              

So I read a lot of books in 2016 and I have narrowed it down to my top 5. Not all these books were published in 2016. So in no particular order here are my top 5.

1.      The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

This book had been on my TBR pile since the TV show 'Revenge' came out and I heard that it was based on the book. I finally got around to reading it and I wish I had read it sooner. This book is definitely in my top 10 favourite books of all time. The main character Edmond Dantes is a jailed for a crime he didn't commit. During his time in prison he learns about an island (Monte Cristo) and all the treasure hidden on it so he plans on breaking out, finding the treasures and using it to bring down the people responsible for putting him in prison.
If you ever dreamed of getting revenge on someone, then read this book as plotting revenge is harder work than you think.

2.      Gone with The Wind - Margaret Mitchell



This historical novel is also in my top 10 favourite books of all time. It's a coming-of-age story about bossy Scarlet O'Hara and her troubles with trying to make her way in the world. The characters in this book will stay with you well after you have finished this novel.

3.   The Sun is also a Star - Nicola Yoon

So I technically finished this book in 2017 but I started this book in 2016 and if I lived somewhere else in the world other than Australia, I would have technically finished it in 2016. This novel is about a Jamaican girl's last day in America after it is discovered that her family are illegal immigrants. She spends her last day with Korean-American who she meets on her way to try and get her family to stop being deported and who makes her question everything she believes in. Nicola Yoon is a new author I discovered this year and I'm looking forward to reading more of her works in 2017.

4.   The Lunar Chronicles - Marissa Meyer

This series is my second favourite series right after Harry Potter. I never enjoyed Sci-Fi before this series and I avoided it like the plague but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. These fairy-tale retellings are so good and I wish there was more books in the series. Marissa Meyer is another author I discovered in 2016 and can't wait to read more from her in the future.

5.   Carry On - Rainbow Rowell

I avoided reading this novel for the longest time because I didn't think I would like it but I loved it. The characters in this are the characters created by the main character in Fangirl, a novel I enjoyed immensely. Simon and Baz are the cutest couple and I hope that she writes more about them.

So one of my top 5 is a series so I guess I kinda cheated at only picking 5 but The Lunar Chronicles was just so amazing as a series that I couldn't pick just one from the series. What are your favourite books that you read in 2016?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review