Like A Memory - Abbi Glines Review



This is the first novel of (as yet) untitled, new spin off series of Rosemary Beach and Sea Breeze.  It is told from dual perspective of Bliss York (daughter of Eva and Cage York, Sea Breeze) and Nate Finley (son of Blair and Rush Finley, Rosemary Beach). You don't have to have read any of the books in either series before you read this, however at the end of one of the books (and I honestly do not remember which one or which series it was) these two had their first encounter which was honestly just the cutest thing ever and I am glad that Abbi Glines decided to do a spin off series.

This book is set 7 years after the two characters briefly dated one summer. Bliss who found out that she had leukaemia right after that summer has been cancer free for the last 4 years and decides it's time to move out of home and move in with her best friend Eli (son of yet another couple from the series) and take control of her life and live it to the fullest.

Nate who never really got over his first love Bliss after she disappeared from his life, is now engaged and helping to open his fiancé's new clothing store where he meets his fiancé's new employee which is non other than Bliss.

I wish I could say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I really wish that I had as I loved the idea of reading about the kids of some of my favourite characters but I find the more I read of Abbi Glines's books, the more predictable they get.

Each book ends up essentially being the same. Couple meets (or in this case re-meets), want to be together but there is some kind of love triangle (or quadrangle), get together, break up, end up back together. I have read every book in both series so this wasn't something new and I was expected the book to be exactly how it was but somehow the more I think about it, the more I didn't enjoy. Somehow I just didn't connect with the characters and I felt that they really didn't have any chemistry.
Also there is mention of suicide in this and I just did not like the way it was portrayed at all. It really irked me.

I originally gave this book 4 out 5 stars because I rated it right after I finished it with it's happy ending but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. I have since lowered the rating to 3 stars but it's more or less sitting at 2.5.

If you enjoyed the other books and the predictability then you might enjoy this but I just did not.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review