Heartless - Marissa Meyer Review


This novel is about the Queen of Hearts (before she became the Queen) from Lewis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland. While I have read both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, I'm not a fan of either.  I found them to be just to strange for my taste but perhaps I need to reread them now because I really enjoyed Marissa Meyer's version of Wonderland. This was such a fun read and I would love if she continued on with the Hearts kindom and its characters.

Cath was such a great character and seeing her struggles and everything she goes through in this book, you can understand how she becomes to be the way she is in Carrol's version.

This novel is quite heartbreaking so just be prepared going in but it is worth it in my opinion. The characters are wonderfully developed and Marissa Meyer writes so beautifully and creates such a wonderful little world that you can almost believe it really exists.

My favourite thing about this book is that she somehow wove in Edgar Allan Poe's Raven into this story and somehow it works so well with the other characters of Wonderland. I honestly don't know how she does it. Every book that I have read of hers so far pulls you into the world that she creates and makes you believe that the characters are real. I love her retellings and although this is not a retelling, it is a story set before a well known book. I can't for her next novel whatever it may be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review