Geekerella - Ashley Poston Review

30724132

This modern Cinderella retelling is the cutest book ever.  I decided to pick this up as I really enjoyed the beauty and the beast retelling that I read last month so I thought I would give another fairy-tale retelling this month a go and I am so glad that I did.

The main character Elle is a 'geek' and spends her days blogging about an old sci-fi series 'Starfield.' Elle grew up watching the show and still lives and breathes Starfield.

The novel opens with her ushering her step-mother and step-sisters out of the house so that she can watch who will be cast in the new Starfield movie remake as she has been looking forward to this since they announced the remake.

Cut to teen sensation Darien Freeman, who is freaking out before his first interview where it will be announced that he will be the lead in the new movie Starfield. Afraid that he will not do the role justice and that the fans of the original will not see him as their Prince Carmindor.

Doesn't really sound like Cinderella does it, but don't you worry, there is a pumpkin truck, evil step-monster, and a missing shoe to boot. However, the best part about this book is that while it has the essence of Cinderella it is also extremely relatable to just about anyone. If you have ever truly geeked out about something, this book helps you understand that it's ok if other people don't get it, just be true to yourself and know there are others out there who feel the same way. This book is definitely for the fangirl/boy in all of us.

The two main characters were adorable and I really enjoyed being about to read from both perspectives. I don't think I have ever read a book (or maybe I have and I don't remember) where one of the main characters is an actor filming a movie so it was fun to kinda see behind the scenes of a film. Definitely loved reading from Darien's point of view.

A cute, fun and quick read, I gave it 5 stars!!

Also there is a sausage dog in this book so how could you not pick it up?!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review