To All The Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han


This is the first book in the 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' series. I believe this is a 2 book series.
I'd read 'The Summer I Turned Pretty' series and the 'Burn For Burn' series (or at least what has been released so far) so I was very excited to read this novel as I enjoyed other Jenny Han novels.

This story is told from the point of view of Lara Jean, a 16 year old priveleged middle child who was basically raised by her older sister Margot as their mother died when they were younger and their father, ob-gyn is often at appointments or on call.

Lara Jean has had 5 crushes in her lifetime, one being Margot's ex-boyfriend and the way she gets over these crushes through the years is by writing each boy a letter about how she feels, sealing it, addressing it and putting it in a hat box that she keeps under her bed. (Might have to try this one day and see if it works!)

One day she finds out that somehow her letters have been posted and she must deal with old feelings and ex-crushes. (Hmm maybe I won't address mine)

I admit that the character of Lara Jean is written more like she is younger than her 16 years, more like she is only 13 but as this is the first book in the series I have high hopes that she will mature and her character will develop in the next novel. Jenny Han has yet to disappoint me.

The ending is a cliff hanger that makes me wish I didn't have to wait til next year to read the second book in the series. Seriously what is Jenny Han thinking making us wait that long?! There is no closure, no happy ending and no loose ends tied up in the novel. The suspense is killing me. I need to know what's going to happy and I need to know now!!!

I enjoyed this novel, it was one of them easy to read novels that ends before you've even realised how much you've read.  I feel it's aimed at a younger audience but that could just be the character of Lara Jean. She's seems very young and innocent. It's not quite a young adult novel in my opinion, more like teen romance. It's also  not quite an epic love story (yet) but like I said before, I have high hopes for book 2, titled 'P.S. I Still Love You.' Keep and eye out next year for my more detailed review on the overall series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review