Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell Book Review


WARNING: Contains some spoilers!

I decided to read this book would you believe it after watching a video on Youtube. I googled the title to find out a little of what the story was about and it sounded pretty interesting so I thought I would give it a go. I've never read a book by Rainbow Rowell before...in all honesty I'd never heard of her before but after reading Eleanor and Park, I can honestly say I'm a fan.

Eleanor and Park is a YA novel about 2 teenagers who couldn't be more different but are bought together by their love of comic books and music. At first Park does not wish to share his bus seat with new girl Eleanor, a chubby red head with questionable fashion sense as she attracts too much attention from the bullies at the back of the bus. Eleanor also does not wish to share a bus seat with Park the stupid (but not stupid-stupid) Asian kid but has no other option as the other kids tend not to pick on her when she is sitting next to him.

Park does his best to completely ignore her but after a few days he notices Eleanor reading along with him as he reads his comic books on the way to and from school and this is really the beginning of their friendship. 

This book really tugs at the heart strings and will bring back memories of your first love. Eleanor's home life will have you sympathizing deeply with her and realizing that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover because you never know what someone is going through. Park's confusion as to who he is and how he fits into the world is something everyone can relate to but the best part of this book is the connection, confusion, love and friendship that Eleanor and Park share throughout the novel. 

I have to admit the ending was not something I saw coming and it does leave some questions unanswered but all in all the book was like taking a step back into the 80s, back to high school, back to your first love. 

I hope you enjoyed my review and will pick up a copy and give it a go :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebirth - Steven Long Mitchell & Craig W. Van Sickle Book Review

The Mindful Way To A Good Night's Sleep - Tzivia Gover Review

White Fire (Pendergast series) - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child Review